It’s Halloween night. The trick-or-treating is over, the piles of candy have been gone through, favorites have been eaten and the rest sorted for quality and type. Parents and their tiny goblins are pooped, finally having come down from the sugar rush.
It’d be so easy to just crawl into bed and call it another successful Halloween, but don’t do that! All that sticky sweet on your kids teeth feeds the bacteria that create plaque, and it only takes 24 hours for plaque to harden into tartar, or dental calculus. Halloween night is not the night to be lax on dental hygiene.
Be sure to talk with your kids about how they plan to eat the rest of their candy. Encourage them to make candy-time after meals. Constantly feeding or saturating the bacteria in their mouths with food puts the cavity-creating bacteria into overdrive. Combining candy with meals limits the length of time the bacteria get fed.
Finally, take a look at their toothbrushes. If they look worn or frayed, it may be time to replace them. New brushes might be just the thing to encourage the kids to power through their post-sugar droop and brush. Children can be especially rough on their brushes, chewing on them and the like. Be sure your kids know the proper way to brush by discussing it with their pediatric dentist.
The American Dental Association suggests you replace brushes every three to four months. That means if you replace them for Halloween you’ll be on track to replace them again after the sugary treats of Valentine’s Day.